Public Safety Links
Phone: 395-4554 or 395-4555
Location: Levinson Hall (Campus Map)
Most bomb threats are received by phone. Bomb threats are serious until proven otherwise. Act quickly, but remain calm and obtain information with the checklist on this page.
If a bomb threat is received by phone:
- Remain calm. Keep the caller on the line for as long as possible. DO NOT HANG UP, even if the caller does.
- Listen carefully. Be polite and show interest.
- Try to keep the caller talking to learn more information.
- If possible, write a note to a colleague to call the authorities or, as soon as the caller hangs up, immediately notify them yourself.
- If your phone has a display, copy the number and/or letters on the window display.
- Complete the Bomb Threat Checklist immediately. Write down as much detail as you can remember. Try to get exact words.
- Immediately upon termination of the call, do not hang up, but from a different phone, contact Campus Safety and Security or Police department if at the District Office immediately with information and await instructions.
If a bomb threat is received by handwritten note:
- Call the Department of Public Safety: (661)(395-4554
- Handle note as minimally as possible.
If a bomb threat is received by e-mail:
- Call the Department of Public Safety: (661) 395-4554
- Do not delete the message.
Signs of a Suspicious Package:
- No return address
- Excessive postage
- Misspelled words or poorly handwritten
- Incorrect titles
- Foreign postage
- Restrictive notes
- Strange odor
- Strange sounds
- Unexpected delivery
- Do not use two-way radios or cellular phone; radio signals have the potential to detonate a bomb.
- Do not activate the fire alarm
- Do not touch or move a suspicious package