To Assist Visually Impaired Persons
Public Safety Links
Phone: 395-4554 or 395-4555
Location: Levinson Hall (Campus Map)
- Explain the nature of the emergency. Alarms or confusion may disorient a person, even when normally familiar with the area.
- Guide the student (or provide someone to do so). Students will take the guide's arm below the elbow and will follow.
- Tell the student where you are as you walk.
- Advise of any obstacles in the path.
- When you have reached safety: Orient the person to where he or she is and ask if any further assistance is needed before leaving.
To Assist Hearing Impaired Persons
If you must get a person's attention:
- Flash room lights.
- Wave your arms.
- Tap person's shoulder.
- Gesture what is happening and what to do.
- Write on board or paper: Nature of emergency & evacuation route.
To Assist Mobility Impaired Persons
- Always ask students first if they have special needs or requirements.
- Individuals using wheelchairs can be pushed or accompanied to safety.
- Individuals using canes, crutches, or walkers should evacuate themselves except in the event that rapid evacuation is deemed essential.
- Call Public Safety, Disability Support Services or other trained college personnel and wait for help before transferring a person from a wheelchair or transporting a person on a stairway, unless the situation is imminently life threatening.
- Wheelchairs for emergency use are located in PE 13 and Health Services.
- Special evacuation chairs may be used for stairway evacuation or to transport injured or non-ambulatory persons. These are mounted near the stairwells in:
Currently located at:
||Chair located 2nd floor at top of main stair well
||Chair located 2nd floor between restrooms on wall
||Chair located 2nd floor top of East stair well
|Speech Arts & Music
||Chair located on top floor middle hallway, West wall
|Math & Science
||Chair located 2nd floor hallway to door 107
||Chair located at top of stairs well on wall next to elevator
||Chair located at top of stair well on the north wall
|Public Safety Office
||Chair located inside Public Safety briefing room
||Chair is located on the top of north west stair well to Gym floor on wall