Current International Students
- Visit InsideBC.
- You should see a tab
In order to enter the U.S. as an F-1 visa student, you must obtain the appropriate entry visa from a U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your country of origin. DO NOT use a tourist visa to enter the U.S.
Obtain a visa for the F-1 status.
Applying for a Visa
To apply for an F-1 visa from a U.S. Embassy/Consulate, submit the following documents to the consular officer at the time of your interview:
- Bakersfield College I-20 for Admission and Bakersfield College’s Acceptance Letter
- Visa Application (Form DS-160) and visa fee receipt (available on U.S. Embassy/Consulate website)
- SEVIS I-901 fee receipt https://www.fmjfee.com/
- A passport that is valid for at least 6 months after your proposed date of entry into the United States
- One (1) 2x2 photograph
- Evidence of financial support from sponsor indicated on the I-20
Visa Processing Time
The visa fees and application processing times vary from country to country. Some consulates grant visas on the same day; others take several weeks to process the request. Appointments are required for visa applicants @ http://www.usembassy.gov to locate the embassy or consulate near you. Visit http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wait/wait_4638.html for visa appointment wait times.
Important points to keep in mind:
- Please remember that you Must attend school indicated on your visa
- Meeting with the Consular Officer can be complicated and there is no guarantee that you will be issued a visa
- The Consular officer will speak to you in English, so be ready to respond.
- When answering questions, be concise and to the point. Dress well, rest enough the night before, and be on time. You must make a good impression in a very short period of time.
- The Consular officer will also look at whether or not you have sufficient financial resources for your education and studies in the U.S.
If Visa Application Is Denied
- Most students obtain U.S. visas easily; however, there are students who unfortunately have been denied visas. If you are denied, make sure to request from the consular officer to give you information in writing as to the reason for the denial.
- Then, please contact the Bakersfield College’s International Student Office as soon as possible for further assistance.