View Mobile Site
Do the work! Strive for accuracy. Don't settle for the "C" - push yourself to do your very best.
** Explore Honors programs at Bakersfield College **
Guidelines for creating an academic journal, including
- Action Plans
This resource is available as a PDF, and as a Word document.
Do you need help with memory? Check out our Memory Tool for a memory quiz, as well as tips to improve your memory.
This resource is availabe as a PDF, and as a Word document.
I resolve never to quit, never to give up no matter what the circumstances, for as long as it takes to pass this class because I'm worth it.
- Scan through chapter, looking at category headings, and read picture/ diagram captions, and bold faced words. These are important concepts and ideas and will be
emphasized on the exams.
- Read chapter summary.
- Read chapter.
- Review chapter summary.
Benefits of a study group include improving your understanding and increasing your confidence.
The Study Group guide, with tips on forming a study group, how to use a study group, and how to solve common study group problems, is available as a PDF, and as a Word document.
Study Group Sign Up Sheet
Preparing for your tests is important. We've created two guides to help you prepare for your tests. One is to help you figure out your test preparation strategies. The second will help you determine if your strategies worked, and will help you determine what you can change for your future tests.
The Test Preparation Strategy Guide is available as a PDF and as a Word document.
The Test Preparation Follow Up is available as a PDF and as a Word document.
These websites offer a variety of useful strategies and handouts:
These CAS Workshops might be especially useful:
- What Successful Students Understand
- This workshop will help students assimilate on the college campus. Topics discussed will be the differences between college vs. high school and navigating the college system. They will also learn why it is important to know the campus culture, expectations, also pitfalls that may arise, and where to go for assistance.
- Planning to Succeed: A Timeline Toward Graduation and Beyond
- This workshop covers matriculation for priority registration, the importance of checking the BC academic calendar, and using the BC catalog as a campus resource. The workshop will also provide a graduation timeline (when to apply and how to do this), transfer application deadlines, guaranteed transfer info. CSU, UC, and private transfer representative visit dates to our campus.
- Successful Note-taking Skills
- The students will learn to use standard methods of note-taking including punctuation, abbreviations, margins, and effective use of the CORNELL SYSTEM.
- Test Taking Tips
- Upon completion, attendees should understand and be able to apply the PIRATES strategy and its subsets to a real test situation. PIRATES: Prepare to succeed; Inspect the instructions; Read, Remember, Reduce; Answer or Abandon;Turn Back; Estimate, Survey
- Maximize Memory
- In this workshop, students will blearn to identify and demonstrate memory techniques, including concentration, classification, repetition, association, and mnemonic devices. They will learn 12 principles to help increase memory skills!
- Pronunciation Skills
- In this interactive workshop, students will improve their pronunciation of essential English words and phrases. Practice exercises will enhance students’ ability to listen and express themselves in everyday communications.
- Powerful Proof Reading Skills
- In this workshop students will learn helpful hints about successful proofreading. They will get training on how to look for common grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and vocabulary errors. With hands on practice, student will learn the important basics of effective proofreading.
Check the Academic Development website or InsideBC (Student Tab) for dates and times.